Baking               Cake Decorating               Tutorials              

Friday, November 9, 2012

Feature Fridays: Fall Inspired Cake Challenge

I was recently asked to participate in a fall inspired cake challenge with cake decorating bloggers started by Kathia of Pink Little Cake and Melissa of The Baked Equation. I am honored to be among these great cake decorators in the challenge. I had a great time with my creation for the cake challenge and hope to be included in more.





My creation is called Thanksgiving in a Cupcake. When I think of fall Thanksgiving immediately comes to my mind, along with some of the foods (pumpkin, stuffed turkey, and pumpkin pie) that are a staple at the table. The cupcakes are vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting. Each aspect of these cupcakes has a meaning. The silver liners of the cupcake represent the foil that is widely used on Thanksgiving. The color of the frosting is the color that reminds me of fall and the fondant toppers are the food items.

Here is a closeup of all of the fondant toppers used.

  • The pumpkin is a well known symbol for Fall so I created them to look as realistic as possible.
  • The stuffed Turkey was very important for me to create because that's one of the first things that is cooked for Thanksgiving. I started out with ivory fondant to create the Turkey and then I took different color pieces of fondant to act as the stuffing and put it on a plate. I then dusted the Turkey with brown color dust to give it that crisp look. I would like to thank my husband for helping in recreating this topper.
  • One of my favorite pies for Thanksgiving, besides pecan pie, is pumpkin pie. I love all of the flavors that are in this pie. The shell is ivory fondant, while the pie is a light brown fondant. I then took some white fondant and made it into whipped cream, which is the best.
 
I hope that you have enjoyed this blog post and have been inspired to cake decorate for Fall. Below is a list of all of the fall inspired cake challenge participants and a collage of the participants works. You will enjoy all of the many interpretations of fall in the form of cake.

1-Cup of hot cocoa cake-Munchkin Munchies

2-Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting-D & P Celebrations

3-Caramel Apple Cake-The Baked Equation

4-Maple Leaf Chocolate Cake-Butter Yum

5-Boo Shoe SugarTopper-Trilogy Edibles

6-Goodbye Fall-Pink Little Cake

7-Turning Leaves-Simply Sweet by Honeybee

8-Fall Teddy Bears-Karma's Cakes

9-Thanksgiving Head Dress-Sweetology

10-Fall Flower Pot Cupcakes-Butter Hearts Sugar

11-End of Fall Cupcakes-Not your momma's Cookie

12-Thanksgiving in a Cupcake-Savor the Baking

13-Turkey Cake-The Baking Sheet

14-Picking Leaves-Sweet Things


Savor the Baking,

Chineka

 

20 comments:

  1. Your toppers are over-the-top adorable! I especially love the pumpkin pie and stuffed turkey! Such great detail:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Those were my favorite toppers also. 8-)

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS - the patience you must have. I'm in complete awe. Soooooo cute!!! It' nice to meet you and I have fun participating in this challenge with you. Take care, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these toppers did take a lot of patience, but the outcome was worth it. 8-) I enjoyed the cake challenge as well.

      Delete
  3. How cute - look how tiny you made the details - amazing! It's been nice collaborating on this project with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. 8-) I appreciate the compliment.

      Delete
  4. These look so realistic - it is uncanny! Wow! I love them all, but that turkey is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cupcake toppers are soo realistic and perfect! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my goal was to make the toppers look as realistic as possible and I'm glad that I succeeded. 8-)

      Delete
  6. I love these! The tiny slices of pie are the cutest and the detail in the turkey is just WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your compliments brought a smile to my face. 8-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! So cute. I often wonder how people make these little delicate toppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. 8-) It takes a lot of patience to make toppers this little, but I love everything about the creative process.

      Delete
  8. Your toppers are adorable and perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is actually one of my favorite seasons 8-)

      Delete
  9. some things are absolutely too stinkin' cute to eat, and that miniature turkey may just fall into that category. i'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, I can't bring myself to eat the turkey either...lol. I am going to save it as a keepsake so the problem is solved. 8-) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Thanks Meliissa. 8-) I'm glad that you like them,

    ReplyDelete

 
UA-56305807-1